I'm not really blaming other people for our barking dog, but when people walk by, Kiefer sometimes barks at people, but as soon as they're passed our yard he stops. But instead of just walking past, people will stop and talk to him, While hes barking. And while we are actively trying to reprimand him. obviously hes going to bark more if you walk off the path up to the fence. He's protecting his property. If this was our house of course we'd put up a wooden fence and everything would be peachy. But not on a rental. So lately it seems like people are getting worse and worse. people think its appropriate to walk up to our fence and talk to us. I'll go outside and get the dog and people will walk up and ask his name and launch into a long story about how their grandma's husband's second cousin's daughter had a dog that looked just like Kiefer. Good for you.
So today I almost bitch slapped a lady. She was walking on the path with her dog and Kiefer barked, but he didn't stop so I walked out there to see what was going on. She she and her dog ( a lovely poodle) were up at our fence. ( I don't know if you can tell from the pictures but there is about 10 ft of sloped grass between us and the walkway) So I go out there and call Kiefer in. And she says "oh! do you mind if he talks to my dog a bit, I'm trying to get her used to other dogs" so I give her a little smile and say "well I actually don't want him barking" and she seriously starts arguing with me saying that her dog "just needs to get used to it" so I grabbed Kiefer and walked inside. She seriously just stood at the fence and watched me. I'm sure I wasn't as rude as it sounds, but really! who does that?! I want to put up a sign "do not antagonize the dog"
It's not really fair that Kiefer keeps getting yelled at and smacked when people are up at our fence bothering him. Or egging him on, as is the case with lost of the highschoolers and middle schoolers that walk past. Grrrr.

4 comments:
Can you put up something inexpensive that would block his view of the path? They make slats that go in those chain-link fences, or you could put up plywood. Maybe that would help the pup. :)
poor keif. -- j
this one time, my drunk neighbor was standing next to our fence (at the time it was chain-link and short...we have since learned the valuable lesson that 6' tall wood fences are the way to go as far as neighbor-proofing is concerned...) and my dog was snarling at him in a way that did not invite him to try to pet her. which he did. and she bit him. he was SCANDALIZED that my snarling dog would dare to bite him when he REACHED OVER OUR FENCE TO TOUCH HER.
people have a weird lack of boundaries when it comes to dogs.
That sucks...but I agree with rachel. See if it is not that expensive to get those plastic slab things to go in the fence. Yeah, I love that people want to kill their dog if they are barking, yet if there actions are causing someone elses dog to bark it means that the dog is just trying to communicate and say hi. LOL So stupid.
Post a Comment