Thursday, August 13, 2009

Domestic Danae?!

Saaayyy Whaaattt!?! But its true I tell ya!
I'm sure all of you have heard me rant about the price of curtains before...But here I go again...
When we bought this house, I was excited about all the windows, soon after Andrew and I moved in the new house Rachel and I went shopping for curtains. I budgeted $400 for window treatments for the 21 windows in my house. We made our way over to Home Depot and I picked out some lovely blinds and the Home Depot lady sized them out and informed me that they would be $280 per panel! HA!
So, we have gone the last four months with only curtains in our bedroom. Tonight I decided enough is enough. I was going to get crafty. I stopped by Target and bought 4 plastic curtain rods for $2.99 each. Then on my way though Ross I found two drapery holders on clearance for $1.49 each. Then I made my way to JoAnn Fabrics where I spent an hour wandering aimlessly around the store as I tried to picture each pattern and style of fabric in the shape of a curtain. It was a frustrating process since you can't return the fabric if the pattern/color doesn't work or if you mess up and don't get enough fabric. My head was throbbing by the time I got up to the cutting table and she asked me how much of each fabric I wanted. Thats a hard question. I finally left the store with 3 different fabrics totalling 7 yards and one roll of Stitch Witchery - (come on you didn't really think I was going to SEW did you!?)- I spent $43.78 all together at JoAnn's. Anyways, I got home and after spending a mear 2.5 hours of cutting, ironing and stitch witchery-ing, I ended up with 5 window treatments. YAY! I had enough fabric with not even a thread of left over- guess my math doesn't suck after all... =)

5 Windows
4 hours of work including shopping
$58.72 spent.


Now don't expect me to start dusting on a daily basis, or even doing dishes on a daily basis...but it felt good to stick it to the Home Depot lady and make my own curtains!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Hey those are really cute! Good work!

JBC Youth said...

I'm so impressed with your craftiness! (although my opinion doesn't really count - I hot-glued a hole in my shirt awhile back to avoid having to attempt sewing it...)